Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

"September 11th" was the first thing I talked to Peter about in the morning after we woke up. Where we were, what we remembered, etc. It was kind of interesting because we lived through a part of history and I think that's probably what it was like for our parents and the others alive during the assassination of President Kennedy...being a part of history. I remember watching it on TV in highschool and then not being allowed to because our principle didn't want to put some people through that if they had loved ones there. I remember sneaking around with some of my friends and my biology and calculus teachers to a tv to watch more of it and get updates throughout the day. I remember the horror in my history teacher's face as he desparately tried to call his sister who was in the WTC at the time it got hit. Even just typing this brings back vivid memories and chills overcome my body.

I watched some news anchor on the morning news putting President Bush down and praising NYC's Mayor Giuliani in the hours/days that followed the attacks. He was saying how Bush was a babbling fool and how Giuliani was supporting NYC so well. I thought he was being very rude and foolish himself because if you think about it, Giuliani had the easier part...support and encouragement of a city. Bush had (and still has) the weight of the country on his shoulders. I can't blame him for being nervous during his speaches after 9/11. He's only one person too. Of course he felt rage, anger, sadness, etc etc etc. but he had to do what he thought was best for our nation. I supported him then and continue to now with his war on terrorism. It's a dirty job and often unpredictable as to how things will go, but I think he's doing the best he can.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I agree, Bush is doing the best he can. I would even go so far as to say, it's a mighty fine job he's doing. He's not the best of communicators, and he's having difficulty overcoming the Democrats' corruption in congress, but he knows where this country needs to go.