Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Crafts

I love Christmas time and all of the fun decorations. I also like to get ideas from stores, movies, and blogs on how to decorate my own home. I love making my own decorations because I feel like the not-so-perfect-one-of-a-kind decorations made by yours truly are the ones I end up liking the most. Anyone can buy/order a pre-made decoration. Lately I've been seeing tons of great ideas for new crafts and decorations. The only problem is that I would need a 5,000 square foot house to be able to display it all! So I pick and choose what to make for my house.

Here are three new additions to our Christmas decor this year...

1. Christmas Pillow Covers
I posted about making these here, but here they are in all their glory on the couch near the tree!


2. Snowman Coasters
How adorable are these little guys?? Total cost for a set of 4 is about $2. They are so cute and super easy to make! I just used some 4"x4" tiles from Lowes for 36 cents each, stamped the snowman on it, painted over with a layer of craft polyurethane, and added 4 little felt feet to the bottom so they don't scratch any surfaces. The felt feet can be found at the Dollar Tree. I made a bunch of these to sell at a local Arts Center and will also be giving them away for Christmas presents. Cute and easy...love it!


3. Dollar Tree Hurricane
I've seen all over blogland how to make these hurricanes. I made some for fall, so I just took the fall stuff out, and added Christmas stuff, and voila! I bought some of this garland a few weeks ago at Kohls. I snipped one end and emptied the garland into the vase, keeping the twine for future projects. (As a side note, I loved that it was on twine that I could use later.) I added a $1 Joy ornament from Target and tied it around the front with a piece of the twine. I love it! Please don't mind the antenna or speakers - those are Peter's "decorations"!

Here's a close-up:

To see more great Christmas crafts, go here.cg holiday button

8 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Your coasters are adorable, and I LOVE the Dollar Tree Hurricanes. Too cute. :) I'm visiting from Centsational Girl today. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

Alicia@Thrifty And Chic said...

I absolute love your coasters! So cute.
And now after seeing your hurricanes, I have decided that my dollar store sucks...they don't carry any of that stuff...maybe except the candle :( But yours turned out great!

René said...

Very cute! I was in the dollar store yesterday and need to go back for those hurricane lights.

-Rene

Jen said...

Oh my, so cute! Love the hurricanes and the coasters.

Mallory said...

Cute! I want to go check out my dollar store now to try to make those hurricanes! And I'll probably need to stop by Kohls as well to find those pretty beads! What a nice pop of color.

Erin said...

Hey Mallory! Those coasters are adorable (and seem simple--even better)!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, and for your kind words! :)

Unknown said...

I’ve featured you on my blog (sorta) on my Holiday Gifts post about last minute gifts to make for the holidays. Although, to be honest, it’s a list for next year for me! LOL

http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com

I’m following you now and will definitely be back to see other cute things as you create them!

Tina “the Book Lady”
http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com
http://givingnsharing.blogspot.com

Deidre said...

Super cute decorations!
I am definitely going to borrow your coaster idea! It would be perfect for a wedding/birthday gift by using a monogram! Love it!

(Thanks for the comment on my skirt from my WIWW #1, I've had a lot of comments on it!)