Friday, May 23, 2008

On the road again...

TGIF and we had an extra day off!  We had a great day driving to Berwick.  We got up, packed and were out the door at 11 AM.  We stopped at Pittsburgh Mills Mall on the way.  I like it up there and we never really go because we have Monroeville Mall closer.  We got Peter a new shirt and tie from JCP for $38.  They were on sale plus I had a 15% off coupon.  We also returned some dishes for my aunt to the Corelle Factory store and were back on the road around 12:30.  

Happy to see the sun shining and having the day off:


The part of route 28 that goes north of Pittsburgh Mills Mall is absolutely gorgeous.  It was an added bonus to the drive to be able to gaze at the beautiful scenery around us.

And the clouds spread across the sky looking heavenly...

It was very much country for the northern part of route 28.  We drove through this quaint little town and "main street" had the typical barber shop, pharmacy, etc.  I didn't get any pictures of it but it was so cute.  I also saw this great old school church from the road and quickly snapped a picture as we drove past.

Can you believe how nice of a ride this is?  It was hilly and every time we crested another hill, we were greeted by more beautiful scenery.  With it being springtime, everything was lush and green which added to the great scenes.



On the outskirts of the little town with "main street" that we drove through, there was a gravel road that paralleled route 28 which was old train tracks.  The railroad ties were tossed off to the side as seen in this picture.  It was neat to see and see all of the farms and pastures that bordered this area.



We stopped at a rest stop after getting on 80 to stretch our legs.  We had packed a cooler with PB&J sandwiches, macaroni salad and bottled waters and had initially planned on stopping somewhere for lunch to eat it picnic style.  We brought Sunchips and some other snacks too.  Unfortunately along 28 there was really no place to pull over to eat so we just ate while driving since it was a good 2 hours or so until we made it to interstate 80.  And just our luck, the first place we stopped had cute picnic tables all over the place.  Haha-oh well!

I love taking road trips with my hubby.  He usually drives and I help for like an hour haha.  But it's just fun to get away and see new places or visit familiar places together.

This rest stop was very scenic and a nice place to walk around for a bit.



We reached our destination shortly before 5 PM.  We crossed the Susquehanna River right before our exit and the scene was breathtaking.

As we were unloading the car, Jeff found us.  We went across the parking lot from our motel and caught up for a bit until he had to leave for the rehearsal dinner.  He and Peter ate Arby's but since I wasn't too hungry yet, I waited.  I grabbed some McDonald's as we heading back to the hotel.  There isn't much around except for beautiful countryside so then Peter and I took a little snooze.  After our snooze, we decided to go to Wal-Mart that was about 15 minutes away.  We actually backtracked on 80 to get there.  We originally went for toothpaste because we had forgotten to pack it and a card, but I don't make it to our Wal-mart very often so I picked up bodywash and Q-tips too because I knew I'd need them eventually at home.  

When we got back, we watched some "Everybody Loves Raymond" and just rested.  We both had a long week so it was nice to just take it easy.  Peter just went out to visit with his guy friends that are also staying at the motel, but I have a headache that I can't shake so I am just here in the room resting up some more.  I am looking forward to a fun weekend of wedding and family fun and don't want to be run down while trying to enjoy it.  

No comments: