Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few weeks ago I made some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies that were oh-so-tasty and after a few of my own personal modifications, I got even yummier results this time.  I cut out the nutmeg because I didn't like them being too spicy with that coupled with the pumpkin and cinnamon.  And this time I used puree from my own pumpkin instead of from the can, just because I had it to use.  Other than that, I modified the amount of margarine, pumpkin and chocolate chips.  As well as the baking time.  

Incase you're interested in making your own pumpkin puree, here's how I did mine.  Since I had the two pumpkins from my harvest decorations on the porch that were still not carved, the pumpkins were still fresh enough to do this with.  I generally just buy the cans of pumpkin puree, but I felt wasteful just throwing away these perfectly good pumpkins.  Especially when I can freeze it for later uses.

After cutting the top off the pumpkin and cleaning out all of the insides, I cut the pumpkin into smaller pieces and then put them on baking sheets lined with foil.  I also saved the seeds to bake later.  The pumpkin pieces baked at 350 degrees for about 2 hours and looked like this:


I didn't feel like letting the pumpkin cool before moving on, so I just took the skin off the pumpkin with a fork and knife and put the pieces in my new food processor from Peter.  :) 
**Sidenote:  When Peter saw I was starting this project with the intention of using my mini chopper food processor, he decided to surprise me with one of my Christmas presents early!  We sometimes struggle to keep the presents we buy for each other.  Especially when the other person can use said gift.  He bought me a new blender that has a big food processor attachment.  Just what I needed (and secretly wanted)!  My blender from the 70's that is older than me, not exaggerating, has seen better days.

Check out my new appliance:

After pureeing the pumpkin, I measured out 2/3 cup increments and put into Ziplock freezer bags.  I chose 2/3 because that's how much each pumpkin roll I make uses and that's also how much I use in one batch of cookies.  So I made a few 2/3 cup baggies as well as 1 double portion bag for making a double batch of cookies.  All this from one pumpkin and I still have a whole 'nother one to chop up and puree-whew!

Now, onto the cookie recipe...

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
2.  In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine sugar and egg until light and fluffy.  

3.  Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla. 

4.  Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and flour.  
**Tip: I added half of the flour and mixed that in and then added the remaining flour until everything was evenly mixed.  I also used a hand blender :)

5.  Stir in the chocolate chips. 

6.  Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the greased cookie sheets.

7.  Bake at 350 for 13 minutes or toothpick inserted in the center of a cookie comes out clean.  For crispier cookies, back for 15 minutes.

I got 5 1/2 dozen cookies from this recipe so I have more than enough to take some with me tomorrow to work to share and also to keep some at home.

Don't they look delicious?  Let me tell you, they are!

No comments: