Thursday, September 25, 2008

A fun night at home...

This morning started out pretty ordinary and routine, with the exception of an appointment with a roofer to get an estimate before we headed off to work. It's times like that when I feel like my parents. Like when we got the versalok retaining wall. And now we're looking to get a new roof before winter. Our roof isn't leaking or anything, but it's just old and would be a wise investment to get done. Plus a potential stressful situation would be eliminated in case it did start leaking. Since pieces of our roof flew off in the wind storm the other weekend, we thought it'd be a good time to get it done.

Moving on...after work I decided to make a big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. Yum! It definitely was the perfect cool and brisk evening for doing so. I started the soup in my regular large (5 qts I think) pot, but had to bring out the big guns to finish it. Yes, the 12 qt stock pot came out, making its first debut of the season. While the soup was cooking away, I decided to make another seasonal first-pumpkin roll! I've always loved pumpkin rolls, but haven't started making them myself until last year. The first one I made was verrrryyy sloppy haha. I think I was so excited that I didn't let the cake cool enough so it melted the filling as I was trying to roll it. I've gotten a lot better though and last night's was a breeze. I let the cake cool for hours and even kept the filling refrigerated until rolling time.

After dinner we moved the twin bed into the office for Mima to stay in and to make room for the air mattress for mom and dad. They're coming Saturday and we wanted to have things ready for their visit. Other small evening activities included folding laundry and other general ridding up.

At 9:00, we settled onto the couch for the season 5 premiere of "The Office"! I'll admit I was a bit worried about Pam when she seemed to be flirting with her chubby artsy friend. But I was so excited when Jim proposed near the end of the episode! It's been a long time coming and as a faithful viewer I've gone through the ups and downs with them and am happy to see them together haha.

After "The Office" I rolled my pumpkin roll and put it in the fridge for this weekend. I also divided up the soup into 3 portions. One small one for my lunch tomorrow, one bigger one for freezing for later and an even larger one for the fridge for this weekend with the fam.

All in all it was a very simple and "typical" night, but with the added fun of seasonal food fun and a favorite TV show premiere. I'm really a simple kinda gal when it comes down to it. :)

No comments: