Monday, July 9, 2012

Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm

I tried another homemade product today...chapstick!  I was hesitant to try it, but when I found beeswax at Martindale's last week when we visited Peter's parents, I was convinced to give it a go!
 

I used Soule Mama's recipe, but had to tweek it a bit.   It was way too glossy the first time around.  The good news is that I did some research and was able to melt it all down, add some more wax, and re-pour.  I didn't have to waste the ingredients!  Second try was a success!  This is my version:

Peppermint Lip Balm
8 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
6 Tablespoons Beeswax
1.5 Tablespoons Raw Honey
30 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil

1.  Put coconut oil, beeswax, and honey in a double boiler.  (I don't have a double boiler so I used a small saucepan of water and put a larger stainless steel mixing bowl on top.)
2.  Heat these 3 ingredients until everything is melted.
3.  Whisk gently.  
4.  Remove from heat and add peppermint oil.  
5.  Whisk gently until everything is well blended.
6.  Pour into containers and let cool at room temperature.  (Don't put the lids on until they've cooled!)

I wish I would've saved some chapstick tubes, but since I didn't, I used some tiny tupperware containers from Dollar Tree.  They come 8/pack for $1 and I already had some on hand.  This recipe filled 3 of them.  I don't know the exact size of these, but guess them to be around 3-4 oz. containers.  I didn't want to invest anything into the containers until I knew I liked the lip balm.  Now that I do, I'll be on the search for cuter containers.  :)

No comments: